Canon VIXIA mini X Full HD CamcorderSKU: 9049
The Canon VIXIA mini X Full HD Camcorder is designed for users looking to share their videos and photos using social media. The mini X features a Canon f/2.8 fisheye lens with a 160° viewing angle for capturing MP4 video, a 150° viewing angle when shooting in AVCHD format, and a 170° viewing angle for photos. You can also choose between a Wide or Close-Up shooting mode. The mini X has a 12.8MP High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor and a DIGIC DV 4 image processor for capturing Full HD 1920 x 1080p video and up to 12MP photos.
The mini X records directly to a removable SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, and it features built-in Wi-Fi for sharing your videos and photos on social networking sites like YouTube and Facebook. You can use the Wi-Fi to send content to your PC, or you can upload photos and video from almost anywhere with the Canon Movie Uploader app for iOS mobile devices. Canon's CameraAccess Plus app supports live streaming by letting you record remotely from the camcorder to your iOS or Android mobile device. The app will also let you control the camcorder from a remote location.
The mini X has a 2.7" capacitive touch-panel LCD monitor with tilt control. The LCD monitor also supports a Mirror Image Recording/Playback mode. Plus, there's a built-in adjustable stand and a tripod socket, so you can easily capture hands-free video and photos. Some of the camcorder's other features include slow motion and fast motion recording, interval recording, Smart AUTO with 23 predefined shooting situations, and several scene modes for shooting in a variety of conditions. It also features an automatic lens cover, mini-HDMI connectivity, a stereo microphone, a mic input, and a headphone jack.
- Canon f/2.8 Fisheye Lens
- The mini X is equipped with a genuine Canon f/2.8 fisheye lens. The ultra wide-angle lens provides a 150° angle of view during AVCHD recording, a 160° angle of view for MP4 video and 170° angle of view for still images, allowing the camcorder to capture scenes with your subject and everything around them. The wide shots have the outer edge perspective typical of a fisheye lens, shooting at a focal length of 17.5mm when recording AVCHD, 16.8mm for MP4 videos and 15.4mm for photos (35mm equivalent). And a centered 1920 x 1080 image is also available to record videos (1920 x 1440 for stills) with a more classic look with Close-up mode, which shoots at 35mm for videos and 32.1mm for photos (35mm equivalent).
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
- The mini X incorporates an advanced Canon HD DIGIC DV 4 image processor, which features increased processing power. The increased processing power allows for more intelligent noise reduction for brighter, more noise-free images - even in dark scenes.
- Canon HS SYSTEM
- The mini X camcorder features the Canon HS SYSTEM - a powerful combination of the Canon DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor and a 12.8MP High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor - that offers dramatically increased processing power and the ability to operate in lower light levels. By capturing more light, the camera produces brighter, noise-free images even during dark scenes. The Canon HS SYSTEM also provides excellent tracking performance even with low light levels, to achieve outstanding still-image quality with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlights and shadow areas. An Auto Dynamic Range control and gamma curve settings prevent over-exposure and under-exposure, even when capturing high-contrast images. The end result is clearer HD videos and still images with reduced noise and motion blur in a variety of shooting situations.
- Record Full HD MP4 or AVCHD Format Video to an SD/SDHC/SDXC Card
- Record Full HD video to a removable SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card for high-capacity storage and fast data transfer speeds to external editors and streaming services. The versatile mini X camcorder offers a choice of two Full HD video recording formats to SD-format memory cards. AVCHD secures enhanced images at 1920 x 1080/60i, while MP4 format is available in either 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 resolutions at 30p or 24p frame rates. MP4 640 x 360 is also possible at 3 Mbps for live-streaming applications. Time code data is provided on AVCHD recordings for compatibility for non-linear editing systems. MP4-format media is also available via internal transcoding of high-resolution AVCHD recordings, for quick and easy uploads to blogs and social networking websites. The camcorder also captures still images with up to 12MP of resolution.
- Linear PCM Audio Recording
- The mini X camcorder records audio using the 16-bit Linear PCM audio format when recording AVCHD video at 24 Mbps. Linear PCM supports a CD-quality sampling rate of 48 kHz. This adds an extra dimension to any video recording, by capturing full-fidelity sound with depth and realistic nuances.
- Built-In Stereo Microphone
- The mini X's large-diameter stereo microphone captures enhanced, immersive sound that adds a heightened sense of stereo depth that draws viewers into a video scene. A separate audio-level control ensures distortion-free recordings with no overload. The large 10mm microphone element is 2.5x larger than its predecessor's mic with improved sensitivity. A higher signal-to-noise performance results in ultra-low noise recordings, while a two-layer sponge and cloth mesh windshield further reduces unwanted air-borne noise.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select lets you select optimized recording parameters for specific types of shoots, including Meeting, Festival and Custom setting modes. Meeting is the best choice for group recordings with multiple participants around the camcorder for a greater sense of ambiance. Festival is best for outdoor musical events to capture the sound of performers around the camera with a good stereo balance. Custom mode offers individual adjustments of directivity, frequency characteristics, mic level, wind screen, mic attenuator, audio limiter and audio compressor. Other modes include: Standard for weddings and similar events, Music for indoor performances, Forest and Birds for natural environments, Speech for capturing a specific individual, and Noise Suppression for in-vehicle recording.
- Wide Mode & Close-Up Mode
- A choice of Wide and Close-up shooting modes provides additional versatility. Wide mode records video with an expansive 150° angle of view for AVCHD and 160° for MP4. Additionally, the mini X offers a useful Close-Up Mode that uses the center of the video image where there is less peripheral distortion. Thanks to the camera's high-resolution sensor, even close-up shots support Full HD recording without image interpolation. An advanced electronic image stabilization system (EIS) helps ensure that images remain crisp during close-ups - even while the hand-held camera is moving. The EIS function works well for ENG-style interviews, dashboard-mount car shoots and other productions where the camcorder is either handheld or in motion. During AVCHD recordings, Close-Up mode offers an approximately 51° angle of view, while MP4-format videos offer an approximately 64° view. This narrower focus for AVCHD results from slight differences in image resolution. Still images offer an approximately 78° view in Close-Up mode.
- Professional Level Features
- The mini X provides embedded time code for AVCHD recordings, which enables frame-accurate editing on professional NLE systems as well as the accurate synchronization of recordings from the mini X with other video and audio recorders. User-selectable time code formats include NTSC 60i/30p or NTSC 24P, in either continuous Rec Run or Non Drop Frame configurations. In contrast, MP4 recording includes elapsed times of scenes in hours, minutes and seconds, as well as remaining time.
- Uncompressed HDMI Output
- The mini X's uncompressed HDMI output delivers a digital video signal with embedded two-channel audio in most camcorder and playback modes for live monitoring during shoots on a high-resolution monitor or large-screen TV. In this way you can check how shots with multiple participants are being composed, or how a particular scene looks.
- Microphone Input & Headphone Output
- External microphones can be connected to the camcorder for more creative options or enhanced fidelity. A separate mic level control adjusts recording levels. Plus, you can also listen to recordings as they are being made using external headphones. For enhanced flexibility, other recording settings are available within Custom Audio Scene settings, including wind screen, directionality, attenuator and frequency characteristics (for the built-in mic), low cut, audio limiter and audio compressor, which are particularly useful while recording live performances. Mixed recording is also possible using an external microphone in conjunction with the camcorder's built-in mic.
- Built-In Wi-Fi
The mini X's built-in Wi-Fi allows you to easily share MP4 video recordings and still images over the Internet via social networking sites such as YouTube and Facebook using the Canon iMAGE GATEWAY# online photo storage service. You can also transfer files to a home or office PC. Uploads can be made virtually anywhere using an iOS mobile device and the free Canon Movie Uploader app. HD video can also be shared via Wi-Fi using compatible home or office wireless networks, wireless hotspots and iOS-compatible mobile phones and tablets using the Movie Uploader app.
Note: Devices supported for Canon Movie Uploader app include iPhone 4S/5/5S, iPad 2, iPad 3rd/4th gen, iPad mini, iPod touch 5th gen
- Live Streaming
The Live Streaming function enabled by the camcorder's built-in Wi-Fi allows you to receive live video and sound your camcorder is recording from a remote location on your iOS or Android mobile device using the free Canon CameraAccess Plus app. The Canon CameraAccess Plus app supports live streaming of video and remote control of key camcorder parameters, including record start/stop and zoom, from a compatible smart device. It can also integrate key system information such as battery life. The app can monitor live video from a smartphone or tablet, and also confirm that videos have been successfully recorded on a remotely located camcorder. You'll be able to review video files at home or share media with colleagues in another remote location via peer-to-peer connections.
Note: Devices supported for CameraAccess Plus app include iPhone 4S/5/5S, iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3rd/4th gen, iPad mini, iPod touch 5th gen, most Android 2.3/4.0/4.1/4.2 mobile devices
- Works with Optional CT-V1 Camera Pan Table
- For remote surveillance applications, the camcorder can also be installed on an optional Canon CT-V1 Camera Pan Table that enables manual vertical tilt and horizontal panning across a 200° angle. Horizontal panning can be controlled via Wi-Fi using a smartphone or tablet with the CameraAccess Plus app. Used with the mini X's wide-angle lens mode, such a combination provides a nearly complete circular view.
- Capacitive 2.7" Tilting Touch Panel LCD
- The camcorder's 2.7" LCD monitor lets you quickly switch between video and still-image mode with fast, intuitive controls. A familiar touch panel lets you tap and swipe the screen in the same way as you might use a tablet or smartphone. The big LCD screen makes it easy to switch from shooting video to capturing still images from various angles - low, high and even inverted - with fast toggling between Wide and Close-Up modes at the tap of a finger. You can easily scroll through captured images, tap through menu options, and quickly share projects with friends and colleagues. The intuitive user interface was even designed to accommodate the needs of contemporary video and photo shoots.
- Built-In Adjustable Stand & Tripod Socket
- A built-in, adjustable stand and tripod socket enable easy positioning of the camcorder, making it possible to shoot scenes hands-free. The combination of a large, variable-angle LCD screen that flips on parallel hinges, and a built-in stand that adjusts to various positions for virtually limitless shooting options. You can shoot low-angle with the screen fully closed, and high-angle or straight on with the screen in the rear position. You can also shoot in multiple directions with the camera inverted and it will rotate the image for playback. Hands-free videos can be achieved by placing the screen in the front position and positioning the sturdy stand at the required angle. A tripod socket helps ensure steady recordings.
- Slow Motion Recording & Fast Motion Playback
- You can control the pace and rhythm of your videos with a choice of slow motion and fast motion sequences. Slow motion is available at 1/2 or 1/4 of regular play speed. This feature works well for highlighting a manufacturing process, reviewing a complex sports maneuver or simply adding dramatic effects. Fast motion plays footage back at 2x or 4x the regular play speed, which is useful when you want to show an entire project from start to finish or when you want to accelerate various timelines.
- Interval Recording
- Interval recording lets you see slow-changing movements over time. The camcorder records JPEG still images or half-second MP4 video clips at pre-determined intervals of 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds. The camcorder also supports 10 minute intervals as well. It will play back your footage in flip-book style. This feature works well when you want to record plant growth, cloud movement, tidal changes, light effects from dawn to sunset and much more. Interval recording can also add an exciting dynamic to office presentations or classroom research projects.
- Higher Capacity Battery Pack
- The mini X's NB-12L battery provides 2.5x the capacity as previous models, for extended record times and additional still images from a single charge. You'll be able to accommodate continuous video recordings of long meetings or music performances up to 150 minutes long. Plus, a convenient rear-panel layout and battery cover lets you swap with internal-charging batteries without removing the camcorder from its tripod.
- Special Scene Mode: In The Car
- The innovative In The Car scene mode corrects exposure settings for passengers inside vehicles that tend to be backlit and, as a result, normally are shot too brightly. Instead, the camcorder's settings are adjusted to be correct for dark areas so that areas inside the car will not be lost in the shadows.
- Automatic Lens Cover
- Designed to be portable and ready to shoot in an instant, the mini X camcorder's built-in lens shutter automatically opens when you turn it on, so that there is no need to remove and then keep track of a separate cap when the action begins. Simply power on the camera and the lens shutter slides open; power off and it slides shut, protecting the Canon lens from dirt, dust and scratches.
- Mirror Image Recording/Playback
- Mirror Image Recording/Playback mode flips the image horizontally to let you view a scene in real time as you watch a recording. The feature has several applications including rehearsing an office presentation, perfecting a golf swing, learning a dance, following an intricate fitness routine, etc. There's also a Repeat Playback function that lets you put a single file on a continuous loop for uninterrupted practice sessions.
- Smart AUTO
- Smart AUTO streamlines the recording of high-impact videos by intelligently selecting the best settings from 23 predefined groupings, in addition to the Sports, Snow, Beach, Night, Food and Fashion, Macro, and In The Car scene modes. Smart AUTO ensures that you capture clear, bright, well-focused video while the camcorder automatically chooses optimal settings and takes care of all system settings.
- Deep focus (pan focus) focusing system
- Manual exposure is available in ±12 steps
- Canon VIXIA mini X Full HD Camcorder
- NB-12L Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (3.6V, 1910mAh)
- CA-110 Compact AC Power Adapter & Charger
- IFC-300PCU USB Cable
- WS-DC11 Wrist Strap
- 1-Year Limited Warranty
|Sensor||12.8 Megapixel 1/2.3" CMOS|
|Effective Pixels|| AVCHD
8.29 Video (Wide Mode)
2.07 Video (Close-Up Mode, Image Stabilizer Off)
1.33 Video (Close-Up Mode, Image Stabilizer On)
8.99 Video (Wide Mode)
2.07 Video (Close-Up Mode, Image Stabilizer Off, Image Stabilizer On)
12 Photo (Wide Mode)
2.76 Photo (Close-Up Mode)
|Focal Length||Not Specified By Manufacturer|
|35mm Equivalent Focal Length||17.5 Video Wide Mode (AVCHD)
16.8 Video Wide Mode (MP4)
15.4 Photo Wide Mode
35 Video Close-Up Mode (AVCHD) with IS Off
43.7 Video Close-Up Mode (AVCHD) with IS On
35 Video Close-Up Mode (MP4)
32.1 Photo Close-Up Mode
|Maximum Aperture||f/ 2.8|
|Focusing Distance||15.8" / 40.0 cm - Infinity|
|Angle of View||150° (AVCHD Recording)
160° (MP4 Recording)
170° (Still Images)
|Recording Time|| SD/SDHC/SDXC 32 GB
1920 x 1080 AVCHD (24 Mbps): 2.92 hours
1920 x 1080 AVCHD (17 Mbps): 4.17 hours
1920 x 1080 MP4 (24 Mbps): 2.92 hours
1920 x 1080 MP4 (17 Mbps): 4.17 hours
1280 x 720 MP4 (4 Mbps): 17.33 hours
640 x 360 MP4 (3 Mbps): 22.92 hours
|Video Format|| High Definition
1920 x 1080i / 60 fps (24 Mbps)
1920 x 1080i / 60 fps (17 Mbps)
1920 x 1080p / 30 fps (24 Mbps)
1920 x 1080p / 24 fps (17 Mbps)
1280 x 720p / 30 fps (4 Mbps)
1280 x 720p / 24 fps (4 Mbps)
640 x 360p / 30 fps (3 Mbps)
|Slow Motion Mode||30 fps recorded @ 360 x 30p|
|Still Image Resolution||JPEG: 12 Megapixel|
|Sampling Frequency||LPCM: 48.0 kHz|
|Bit Rate||LPCM: 16.0-bit|
|Shutter Speed||1/12-1/2000 sec|
|Interval Recording||5 sec
|Scene Modes||Preset: Yes|
|Lux||10 (NTSC, P Mode, 1/30 sec shutter speed)|
|White Balance Modes||Auto
|Built-in Light/Flash||Light - No
Flash - No
|Outputs||1x HDMI C (Mini)
1x A/V Mini Terminal
1x USB 2.0
|Battery||Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 1910 mAh,
Providing up to 2.5 Hours per Charge
|Charging Method||AC Adapter|
|Power Consumption||Recording:2.7 W|
|Operating Temperature||23 - 113°F (-5 - 45°C) 60% Relative Humidity
32 - 104°F (0 - 40°C) 85% Relative Humidity
|Dimensions (WxHxD)||3.2 x 1.2 x 4.3" / 82.0 x 30.0 x 109.0 mm|
|Weight||7.23 oz / 205 g body only
8.47 oz / 240 g including NB-12L battery pack and SD card